Rule #1 when fact-checking a “warning” post…is the site that the article is posted on trying to sell you something? A book? An online course? A membership?
And, especially in the case of food warnings…a cookbook, supplement, or pill to replace the “bad” food?
80% of sales is pure BS, and the other 20% is misleading statistics. 😉
Rules of thumb:
- If the site is advertising a product to replace the thing they’re warning you about…close the window.
- If there are no links, or specific references to legitimate studies and supporting evidence…close the window.
- If all of the posts on the site are on the same subject, ie: “The evils of…” close the window. (I call these “ax-grinders”)
- If a high percentage of the posts on the site seem to be making outlandish claims on a variety of subjects…close the window. (tin-foil hat blogs)
- Click Bait: If th site is peppered with lots of “Sponsored ads”, there’s a good chance the article is pure click-bait.
- Sensational subject lines: “5 Things your eating that will kill you…”, “Eat ***** everyday to avoid Alzheimers”, “The Cure for Cancer, Found!” Again, click-bait.
You want reliable, established sites with plenty of verifiable evidence from professional sources. Like most things in life, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Don’t get hooked.
PS -And, for GOD’S SAKE…DON’T SHARE IT!